Chemo Stream-of-consciousness

Not that kind of stream.

Part of what I want to do with this blog is to give a very real sense of what going through cancer can be like. So, today, even though I can feel my chemo brain fog happening, I'm going to write. As much as I can, I'm just going to write without editing, which is super tough for me. I think I may have mentioned that i'm arrogant, and that my ego centere around my intelligente. So writing without going back and fixing everything, then putting it out for public consumption (all three of the people who are reading this) is almost my worst nightmare. Even as I say I'm going to do it, I can feel my brain trying to pierce through the fog to keep from looking stupid. Basically, my brain's screaming "what the #3!! are you doing???" Even the fact that I'm not formatting this or making it look pretty is grounds for my immediate and ugly deaath.  The fog isn't super bad today. It's bad enough that I can't reason through complex problems and have difficulty having a fluid conversation with anyone, but not so bad that I lose all sense of direction, which i think I menationed in my last blog. Also, some things I want to tell anyone who might be going through chemo themselves--MetaQil, first and foremost. I'm telling you, this is one of the few things that can help with the nasty taste in my mouth. A solution of baking soda and salt can also help (not quite as much), but the nice part of that is that it's WAY less expensive (the MetaQuil is like $25 for 8 oz). Also, strangely enough, one of th4e few things that I can stomach when I'm nauseated (and that varies from day to day and moment to moment) is Isopure Dutch Chocolate protein powder mixed with almond milk. It tastes good in spite of the nasty taste and nausea, and it gives you protein, which is important when you're going through chemo. I don't know if I mentioned bone broth, but that is another thing that really helps. You can sometimes find bone broth at the stoere, but it's better if you make it yourself. No, I didn't make it. My incredilbe, awesome, fantastic, fierce wife did. But basically, if you contact your local butcher, they'll either sell bones to you for cheap, or even sometimes for free. There are some good recipes online, I think. Stool sofenter and Immodium. I know that's gross, but I've needed both. Chemo seriously messes with your digestive system. Lotion. Invest in some good body lotion. Chemo makes your skin dry out and itch like crazy. And if you happen to be doing ABVD chemo, make sure you chew ice all throughout the treatment, and then drink icees and eat popsicles for the rest of the day. It will save your mouth. Biotin is a good mouthwash to use to keep your mouth healthy, and Sensodyne is a great toothpaste to use. But make sure it's not one of the ones that whitens teeth. Brushing and/or rinsing before and after you eat will make a big difference both in your mouth health (chemo can cause really bad mouth sores) and in the nasty taste. Trader Joe's ginger tumeric tea. Game. Changer. There was something else I was going to mention, but I didn't write it immediately, and now the chemo fog has erased it. Hopefully, this may help someone out there who's going through chemo and feels alone.

Next post.

Comments

Popular Posts