The Return of... You Guessed It... Todd

Darth... Todd... Same difference, really.

The results are finally in.

The cancer under my arm, the one that was getting pissy and not responding to the chemotherapy (now that I have a dog named Kimo, I have to use the entire word--no more "chemo" these days), the one that baffled my oncologist's pathologist... remember that one? He's been identified.

It's Todd.

He really is, y'all.
After worrying that it was metastatic renal cell, or t-cell, or something as yet unidentified by science, it turns out that the mass under my arm was classic nodular Hodgkin's. Todd. Just resistant to the ABVD chemotherapy regimen I was on.

Classic Todd.

What does that mean? That's where it gets fun. And by fun, I mean...

It never really stops being funny.

So, this Friday (yes, this Friday), I'm getting my kidney out. Wayne is going buh-bye. I have told y'all about Wayne, right? My other cancer, that just sits in my kidney, hanging out, doing nothing other than irritating me? That's Wayne.

Totally Wayne. To a t.
Yeah. We're giving him the boot.

About freaking time, too.
Once that's done, my generous oncologist has given me three weeks to recover before we start back into chemotherapy. That's more than I'm giving myself. Right now, my wife and I are engaged in battle. I think I should be able to go back to teaching on Monday. She thinks I need to take the week off. Who do you think will win?


This is a shock to absolutely no one.

That's when things get ugly.


Wait. This isn't the ugly part??? This, by the way, isn't just gratuitous. It's a
laparoscopic nephrectomy (kidney removal).
After I recover for a while, I start into new chemotherapy regimen. It's called ICE. Or ICE-R or sometimes RICE. Whatever. It's chemo. It's not gonna be fun.

Once I've done two treatments (should take a month to six weeks to do), they'll do another PET CT to see if the cancer's responding. If it is, I then go in for a bone marrow transplant.

By the way, I am not a medical professional. In the last post (or was it the one before that?) I didn't describe accurately what a bone marrow transplant looks like these days. Basically (and I may still be off on this), my understanding is that they'll harvest stem cells from my blood, freeze them, then take me up to the big city (Salt Lake). They'll nuke me with high levels of chemo, wipe me completely out, then re-inject the stem cells. I'll be in isolation around four weeks.

Yep. Something like that.

Luckily, by the time I'm finished with everything else, the BMT should happen right around the first part of December. Right as the semester ends.

Woot.

This may mean spending Christmas in the hospital. I'm okay with that. Mostly. It's actually not the first time it's happened. I had some surgeries when I was in high school, and I spent my Christmas break having the doctors re-inflate my collapsed lung.

This seems worse.

When I talk to others about it, the response is typically, "Wow. That sounds great. You'll be able to sleep, read, watch Netflix..." And yes, that is all true.

But I like people. And people and I will not mix well together once I'm at immunological zero. Zero. ZERO.

It always seems to come back around to
The Hudsucker Proxy. See what I did there?


Like, seriously, y'all. I'm going to have to get all my childhood immunizations again. This is a hard reset for my body.

After that, I'll be on a maintenance dose of chemotherapy for another year. Eighteen more treatments.

Now, if all of this seems overwhelming, it... well, it is.

I am overwhelmed.

Just a tad. A titch. A wee bit.


But this was the good news, y'all. It would have been so much worse if it had been a third cancer or metastatic renal cell carcinoma. So as much as I'm feeling like there's so much ahead of me, most of the time I also try to remember that there's quite a bit behind me as well. I've made it this far.

I can keep going.
-------------------

Next post: a long form poem, written in iambic pentameter, about... absolutely nothing. It's gonna be RIVETING.

Not that kind of riveting.


Next post.

Comments

  1. I am so glad your armpit garbage is just Todd Hodgkins and not Todd Renal. And I am totally down to setting up zoom sessions with you and all your friends when you are a bubble boy. I miss you and love you, my friend. We can share articles, have marco polo chats ( you must get this app!!) And hell, we can even manage play readings via zoom. Isolation is bad for the human animal. So lets make plans to share virtual space my darling friend while you are in solitary!! Wayne is a dick and should have been evicted long ago. And Todd... well, he is about to get a huge walloping. Fuck todd. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I'm so sorry. This is horrible. And so painful and time-consuming and life-consuming. Exhausting. I'm really sorry. Prayers for you. What else do you guys need? Food? TV/Movie recommendations? Money? Seriously, this is a lot. I admire your sense of humor--keep that. AND the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing more that I want to see the new back at the directors table. When you fight you do it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true, that picture of you on the roller coaster never really stops being funny! I'm glad you can laugh at it too. Someday soon you will have a healthy strong pain-free back and then you will be glad you were able to see the humor in the situation instead of going negative about it.

    I'm glad they are taking your kidney. That seems like an easy fix and one that needs to happen sooner or later for you to return to full health anyway. Plus, you never know what Wayne could be up to... he could be collaborating with Todd or strengthening him somehow. Divide and conquer! Solve the problem you can definitely solve today! And in the process, simplify the remaining issues... I think this makes a lot of sense. So I'm glad they are taking your kidney. This will be (another, concrete) step forward for you. May you recover quickly and without significant pain.

    Speaking of recovery, I'm with your wife. Three weeks (which is what the oncologist is giving you before resuming intranevous chemical treatments [we don't say "chemo" any more...]) is a generous, conservative amount of time. But I think one week, or less, is all you will really need for recovery. You will likely be chomping at the bit to get back to work as soon as you are feeling well, but (and this is coming from a guy who has had back surgery, three nasal surgeries and two broken ankle surgeries) I think it's highly unrealisstic to expect AND COUNT ON you feeling fully recovered by Monday morning three days after having major surgery. That's just not realistic. So your wife is right. Take the week off after surgery. Give your body time to rest and heal. You will almost certainly be ready to go back to work by Monday, September 23 after a surgery on Friday, September 13. Hey wait. Friday the 13th! I hope you're not superstitious... :-)

    The month in isolation sounds daunting and may be a challenge for you. But that, too, shall pass. You can look for ways to make the most of the time, including noticing that EVERYTHING IS IMPERMANENT. And in any case, a bone marrow transplant and a month of isolation is a future situation you don't actually need to worry or think about now. Just be here now. You can handle what is coming at you today. Tomorrow, you will be able to handle what is coming at you tomorrow. Just be here now, as often as possible, as much as possible, and you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts